MICROWAVE POWER DEVICES GROUP OBJECTIVES
Researches of the Microwave Power Devices group (PUISSANCE) at IEMN focus on the development of active devices based on wide band gap semiconductors:
- Activities regarding AlGaN/GaN HEMTs for microwave power applications up to G band.
– Devices fabrication on Silicon substrate, on Silicon Carbide substrate and on GaN substrate.
– Electrical and microwave characterization and modeling
– Thermal modeling and characterization
- Activities regarding new barrier material such as ScAlN to outreach the best performances of currently available HEMT GaN devices up to 94GHz
- Power electronics in the frame of a collaboration with the Laboratoire d’Électrotechnique et d’Électronique de Puissance de Lille (L2EP): characterization based on S parameters,, modeling, design and fabrication of high efficiency DC–DC Converters based on GaN semiconductor.
- THz detectors development based on GaN-based SSD (Self Switching Diodes)
Another activity is based on silicon devices (HBT SiGe, BiCMOS) in the frame of a common laboratory between IEMN and ST MICROELECTRONICS:
- The evolution of silicon technologies now makes it possible the development of many applications in the millimeter and submillimeter ranges (development of fully integrated VNA or load-pull characterization bench on silicon) in the frequency range of 140-220 and 220-325 GHz (G and J bands)
- Determination of HBT SiGe:C power results at 94 GHz and beyond
The scientific research is shared between advanced topics and projects strongly connected to the needs of industry. In a very competitive research field, studied by the most famous laboratories, since several years, all around the world in USA, Europe and Japan, state of the art results were obtained by the group.
The activity of the Microwave Power Devices group is developed in the frame of numerous scientific projects in collaboration with industrial companies and universities all over the different countries in Europe showing thankfulness for the expert appraisement domains of the group.