Towards the world of business and industry
Doing a thesis or a postdoc at IEMN can be a springboard to a career in the industrial world, for the creation of a startup, ... Jobs in the private sector offer young researchers opportunities often interesting and ignored. Careers are diverse and varied. They are naturally oriented towards R&D. But it is also possible to occupy management or commercial positions...
Témoignages : des profils variés
A postdoc at the IEMN: an atypical path
Guillaume Copie, Computer engineer at UBIK Ingénierie, Roubaix
After my post-doc at IEMN, I just started my new job at UBIK where I develop JAVA/JEE software and applications.
At IEMN, I worked in modeling and dynamic monitoring at the atomic scale via different methods of numerical simulations (molecular dynamics, Monte-Carlo simulation, ...). The systems studied were varied ranging from physisorbed or chemisorbed molecules on surface or nanoparticles, but also assemblies of nanoparticles or protein complexes.
During my postdoc, I was able to use various skills:
- Use of different computer codes (DL-POLY, Gromacs ...) for the dynamic simulation of systems
- Use of supercomputers for the simulation of large systems (several hundred million atoms)
- Development of computer code (C language, bash) for system simulation and results analysis
- Presentation of results via poster or oral presentation in international seminars
- Great freedom of work and a very pleasant working environment
Comments on the training
- Visit of different research laboratories
- Two approaches to the study of biology:
- experimental with the study of different instruments and physico-chemical analysis (Fluorescence microscopy and its derivatives, NMR, Patch-Clamp ...) - theoretical with the development of mathematical models and numerical simulation.